Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Military Ball

MCPT Military Ball 2014

I have described us as an LDS, military family many times, and I have shared thoughts of faith many times, but I have not so often shared the military side of things. Here is a great one full of traditions....the military ball!

First off Uniforms -

There are a few different  uniforms the  soldiers wear. From PT - Mess dress. This one is a dress blue. You can not see it in this picture of us, but the blue on the pants and the blue on the jacket do not match. I used to think it was the ugliest thing, Once I learned the story and tradition behind it; it didn't bother me so much.

In the old day of soldiers on horses, the soldier would take off the jacket while riding which would result in sun bleached pants and today they make the uniform that way out of tradition.
I do feel bad for female soldiers. I do not care what you do for a living, most girls love a chance to dress up and go out like a princess, but the female soldiers must wear uniforms to the ball as well.


I love buying a fancy dress and figuring an up-do. Getting something sparkly to wear around my neck. I enjoy getting my nails done and getting all beautified! 

Dan hates it! Well I think he puts up more fuss than he actually hates. Sure the uniform is a bit stuffy, and its like being at work for him with superiors and work people about, but he knows its tradition and he's proud to be a part of that.

The traditions of the evenings events:


At every ball there is a small table set up with the chair tipped  and all the settings for a full meal. There is no food on this table except for salt sprinkled across the dish. This table is a memorial for the fallen soldier. It is a reminder of a seat that wont be filled. The salt is for the tears of the family and friends that won't be able to welcome their soldier home again.
Now a days, most serving in the armed forces can place a face or two to that chair when they walk in and see it.



A reception line is a frequent, but not always required event. Well let me clarify, If there is a reception line it is not optional, but they do not always have them. The highest ranking officials and dignitaries will be there and you will greet them and shake hands. The male or the soldier always goes first and after he has greeted the official, he turns to his guest and introduces her to the dignitaries. My mother in law (Dan is third generation military) often tells stories of "In her day" A reception line required white gloves. Some ladies would not have any and they would share by passing the gloves back through to the next person in line. However the soldier can never shake hands in a reception line with gloves on.


Posting the colors happens at every military event.

I am sure you have witnessed this before at a sporting even or a scout function. Its the same, but everyone is very silent and very respectful.The way a soldiers back is stiff and straight and arms are at their side with hands cupped is awe inspiring. They never let it out of their sight making tiny adjustments with their feet and never changing the stiff form of their body to always see where it is in the room. These are the people who know, they know what that flag stands for, they are willing to do what it requires to keep it held high.  I wish all Americans could stand there in a silent group of hundreds like that and watch the fine details of how a soldier salutes the flag.


Then there are the toasts. Always an awkward moment for the Mormon, or non- drinker. It is extremely rude to not participate, or even not so nice to toast with water (If you are in the navy it's like flipping them all off if you toast with water) Some wine is always available to toast with. A few times we have seen sparkling cider provided for us and designated drivers, but not always so water it is.
There are specific words used and replies to be shouted as part of the toast. Don't worry if you have never been to one before they usually provide it in writing in the program.





Ladies and Gentlemen, I propose a toast to the United States of America
                        Group-      The United States of America

Ladies and Gentlemen, I propose a toast to our commander and chief
                        Group- The commander -in-chief

So on- To the United states military, To the United states Army, To the unit's, To the Base
After they have toasted all the military head quarters and units, they toast

Ladies and Gentlemen- I propose a toast to our distinguished guests.
                     Group- Our distinguished guests

"Men, Seat your ladies"

Gentlemen I propose a toast to the ladies
                   Men- To the ladies


The grog- Thank heavens this is one left up to the units and isn't done all the time, but it is frequent and usually the mark of a less than elegant ball.


This is where each unit, or platoon or special guest or anyone with anything to say who has  a bottle of any type of alcohol will stand and say why it is important to remember XXXX and why this alcohol is being added to the grog. Before long 10-15 (or more) bottles of a mish mash of booze is in one giant punch bowl, and cups are dipped freely.  Ugh! Not my favorite.


Of course there are always a speaker or two and like at any event that can be long and dry or short and sweet. You never know.

There is always dinner and I can remember dinner at a ball being delicious once (In Germany and I was pregnant) Its mostly like banquet or  wedding food.

We pay a good chunk to attend, but the Army is good about charging the officers more to make it easier on the soldiers to attend as well. It's good to see the younger group learning the traditions.


The colors are retired and that ends the official part of the ball. Then the DJ starts up the music and dancing ensues. This is the part where it turns into "Prom" Sure at this age people are allowed to drink, but no one should drink that much. Sure we are old enough to choose what to wear, but no one should wear that little!

All in all, I feel very privileged to attend and witness the rich traditions, and immense pride of the soldiers old and young, experienced and new, and the proud spouses that love and support them through the years of a military career.
 


Dan and I at one of our first balls BYU ROTC

1 comment:

  1. This was super interesting to read! You guys are so good looking! Crazy to see how far you've come since the start!

    ReplyDelete