Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Logan Marie's Birthday Post



My mom asked each of us kids to do a post about our year on our birthday. My birthday was a few weeks ago, so i guess it’s my turn. 
July 30th of last year was probably the most interesting birthday I’ve ever had and this year has probably over all been the most eventful of my life. Last year I was in a wheel chair being taught how to function without the use of my legs. Through out this year I’ve learned (through therapy and a little trial and error) how to use my legs again. I went from crutches, to a cane, to my very own legs with a hobbly little walk. 
Although that is enough to put anyone out for a year I was determined to “be normal.”
I spent the fall in Kansas City with my family, they went from waiting on my hand and broken feet to pushing me over and telling me to do things for myself. (Which is probably the best way to get back on you’re feet.) Winter set in to the midwest and i decided that “I just couldn’t.”
Mom and Uncle Mikey worked out a plan for me to leave Kansas City. The Doctor said I could go back to school and MikaJo let me move into their spare room. Arizona was a nice change from the ice in KC and I loved being an adult out of my parents basement. 
It was an amazing semester, i got to spend time with Mikey, Becca, and Tori. I loved spending time at home with Mikey and Becca, going to institute with Becca, and doing everything from grocery shopping to road tripping with my sister. 
The day to day was pretty normal; school, therapy, institute, and family dinners once or twice a month. 
In early March Mikey, Becca, Parker, and I went to a cabin in Pine, Arizona. Shortly after that trip Parker and I started dating. 
Everything was amazing and sparkly, and the time flew by way too fast. 
In May I flew home to Kansas City to have more operations on my legs. They ended up sending me to New York where I spent about a month for surgery and recovery (Thanks UP and AD.) 
When I got home Parker surprised me and proposed! Then, as I’m sure you’ve read about, My family finished out the summer with a trip to Nauvoo, IL and then the majority of us moved back to Arizona again! 

It’s been an eventful year, I’ve learned a lot about the hardships of life and how simple it is to turn a bad day into a good one. I learned that things can get really really hard and even though everything seems hopeless and terrifying there will always someone you can turn to. I used to think that when you were sad, you were sad. When you’re having a bad day that, that was it. I would go to bed and listen to sad music and be mellow dramatic and that was my day. This year I learned that you can be lower than you ever dreamed you’d be and also be happier than you ever thought you could be. It’s all in the attitude and really, even more about drawing strength from inside and around you. People have asked me (more so when I was operating without legs) how I’ve stayed so positive and I can honestly say that its in perspective. 
I fully plan on using that and many other lessons that I’ve learned this year to move into this next year! And I couldn’t be more excited! I’m 90% back to “normal” I’m getting married at the end of December and until then I get to live with Seth, Paige, and Mom. I’d say that everything is looking up. 
Projection for next year? 
Hmm.. well, like I mentioned earlier, I’ll be getting married. So I’ll be trading “Strode” for “Stanley” and my family will all be off on crazy adventures, Italy and who knows where else. So hopefully we’ll be visiting and adventuring on our own! As for the day to day, I’m excited to see what's in store. 








1 comment: