Saturday, October 10, 2015

Arlena's Traveling tips


I have traveled internationally so many times, I honestly can not count anymore. I have done it so much that I have a bit of a routine to make it easier and it occurred to me others might be interested in how I do it. Lets face it a vacation is exciting but 24 hours of traveling and jet lag and multiple layovers are not fun!

So here is the best of my tips!


First off, lets talk about what to wear. You want to be comfortable, but you do not want to look like you rolled out of bed. I have a trusty traveling companion, she is a long black Maxi dress. She looks like I'm dressed up, but she is like wearing a blanket. I always wear slip on shoes to get through security easy and bring a light weight sweater and a pair of socks. The long flights usually offer you a blanket and a pillow so I do not use those crescent shaped travel pillow, but if you do, I'd get the inflatable ones so its easier to carry.  (heck if you have the funds get first class, they give you a freek'n bed)

Once through security and at your gate I like to find a cup of cocoa, if you drink coffee, its your last chance for a decent cup. It is warm and soothing and I have a tendency to panic a bit up to this point (a few times I've missed flights) so I need to get to the gate and calm down.

When you are on the flight and it is in the air it is time to plan your sleeping. Yes! You need to do this. Think about what time it is where you are going and what time you will land. Figure out how many hours of sleep you will need and plan them to match with the destination's night time. Start getting over the jet lag before you get it. (trust me) Then stick to your plan! Sometimes its hard if you want to see a good movie they have, or catch up on your book. If your a sleeper and want to sleep the whole way, find something to keep your mind active.

Now get comfortable. stick those slip on shoes in your bag, use some soothing wipes on your feet and put on those comfy socks you brought. You will enjoy your flight so much more and sleep better if you take the extra time to really be comfortable.  (but if you go to the lavatory put those shoes back on- ick!)


Next, Eat the dinner they give you, but none of the salty snacks, no soda either. Both of these items will bloat you and when you are sitting for 14 hours straight your ankles will swell and you will get off the plane feeling gross. Bring your own snacks- low sodium is best! I always travel with instant oatmeal because they always have hot water and it is very filing and satisfying. Also bring a small supply of any over the counter meds that may be needed on the flight because they can give you nothing. If you get nervous and have indigestion you'll want Tumms, Im prone to head aches so I always have Advil.  I also like to travel with Airborn or Emergen C to take with the water the flight attendants have. There are too many people with too many germs trapped in a big tin can breathing the same air for too long and I am not about to let them ruin my vacation!

When it is sleep time I like to use the facial wipes and clean up (I never fly with make up on- I bring a few basics to apply upon landing, but a smudged face is worse than a naked face) I enjoy using the Colgate wisps , which are  a strong breath mint / disposable tooth brush combo . I put my ear phones on and a sleep mask. I cuddle into my dress and the blankets they provide on the plane and I do my best to stick to my sleep schedule.

You will know when its landing time, no one will let you over sleep, no worries. You'll have plenty of time to stow all your travel things and put on your real shoes again. Another face wipe and maybe another tooth brush. Apply a little mascara and you will walk off the plane looking refreshed and ready to go.

Layovers- Sometimes its great to plan a layover thats over night, it may be the ticket is cheeper and you get a short vacation. If you are not traveling light some airports have lockers for luggage and you can leave your stuff and jump in a cab, head to the nearest land mark, walk around, have a meal, shop, and then head back to the air port a few hours before you flight and sleep it off on the plane.
Some layovers are just enough time to grab something to eat and get on the next plane. Just remember airport food is not going to make your flight comfortable. Get some fruit or a salad and thank me later! I've had layover that had me literally running to catch the next flight, but thats because I buy the ticket with the shortest flight times. You can look at all those things when you purchase your tickets.


Jet lag - Force yourself to stick to the time zone you are in, stay busy, try not to nap ,go to bed early if you must, but try to live to the same time frame you would at home, just in a different time zone. This way you will make the best out of your trip.  LISTEN TO ME! Dan and the kids do not and it takes them 3 weeks to adjust. I do it in 4 days!

Return trip- 

Its a good thing to note if you have never flown internationally before, (It is easier to get through other countries customs and passport check stations than it is the USA even if you are a citizen ) You will have to go through customs at your first lay over in the US and pick up your baggage and re- check it. No one tells you that and it can be confusing as you are hurried through lines and spit out as though you were leaving the air port. You get your bags, re- check them and find your terminal (most airports have a domestic terminal and an international terminal and you came in to the country in the international terminal and will be leaving to a domestic location so you will likely have to switch terminals. Then go back through security and find your gate.

If I missed anything, ask me in the comments- Ill edit!
Happy travels!






1 comment: