We got back from a trip to Berlin Just days before Christmas and there was much to do and so I apologize for the delay in blogging this adventure.
We traveled our old neck of the woods in Germany for a few days and visited many Christmas markets and had a ton of kinder punch before making our way to Berlin. We had never visited this city before and decided to spend a few days out walking around and seeing it.
An important thing to know about our adventure here is that as we drove into Berlin and found our hotel 2 KM away there was an attack on a christmas market. The Man had hijacked a truck and killed the driver, and then drove his truck into a crowded Christmas market where many people were shopping, eating and enjoying the wonderful decorations and this wonderful time of year.
12 people were killed in this attack and the criminal fled to Italy where he was killed in an attempt to apprehend him.
This Christmas market wasn't one of the normal ones where you walk to the center of town and are secluded and surrounded by buildings, it was one that lined the busy street and anyone could have chosen to jump the curb and drive into the crowd.
It was a terrible thing to have happen and I feel and pray for the comfort of the families who lost loved ones in particular so close to the family holidays.
I would like to point out that the next day as we walked the streets of Berlin there was a somber feeling in the air but many Christmas market vendors were opening shop and people of the city and tourists were out shopping and walking and eating and having fun despite the fear.
I believe in my heart of heart that that is how Berlin Won that day.
If I am ever killed in a bomb on a train or plane traveling in some far off country or mowed down by a terroist in a opener market in a small city in a strange country, I never want anyone to say " I sure wish she didn't travel so much" or " See she should have stayed home" I want you to say " She died doing what she loved and she never let the fear that others tried to instill get to her"
![]() |
| One open air market we went to had this super fun slide we all had to try! |
With that being said , we had a great time in Berlin. I had such a different feel from the country side and old villages we are used to in Germany and I liked it. It was like most modern large cities and had many options for movies, malls and restaurants.
![]() |
| Battenburg gates |
![]() |
| Check point Charlie |
![]() |
| Paige standing between the two sides of the Berlin wall |

We went to a video game museum and spent hours learning about the development and the technology of video games. It sure made Dan and I feel old because they had rooms designed like different eras (all eras we have lived through) and having the gaming system that went a long with that era. Seth enjoyed the parts that showed how video games have been used for therapy and other helpful things and is convinced that video games are the best invention ever.
![]() |
| Dan and Paige playing in the 1980's room that looks like something Ive been in and had the game I played on our first gaming system ever. |
![]() |
| Of course Christmas markets and lovely lights! Germans do Christmas right no matter what city you are in! |









No comments:
Post a Comment