I remember when Dan was first commissioned an Officer in the US Army, I pinned one side of his rank, and HIs Mom pinned the other side. It was an honor and a first step out into an amazing journey. I remember when he was promoted from 2nd LT to 1st LT in Germany and I pinned him them too. So much still ahead of us!
Little did I know how much; how much excitement, travel, adventure, hardship, separation, war, growth, trial, and more adventure. I didn't realize when he was promoted to Captain we would be in the middle of a move and it would be done quickly and unceremoniously, or when he had to fight and struggle with poor leadership to get his rank to Major they would do it during a deployment and it would be in Iraq.It was such a great honor to be with him and watch him repeat his oath of office and talk about the honor he feels in performing his job. "It isn't about the pay check, for any of us. Its good to work with honorable people like this"
"I Dan Strode, having been appointed an Officer in the Army of The United States, in the grade of Lieutenant Colonel do solemnly swear the I will support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely , without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; so help me God."
Then we celebrate a crowning achievement in a well run career.
(This is where he is saying, "I have great root beer for you all but no real beer, sorry")
Amazing Kansas City BBQ was in order (and sooo tasty)
I had some cute plans for these cupcakes. My sweet sister spent hours making little LTC ranks out of fondant. The Army guys took all the stuff from me and didn't let me help. I know they were trying to be helpful and nice, but no creative food service was set up and they had no idea what to do with the fondant. (At least take the cup cakes out of the box guys!)
No comments:
Post a Comment