Monday, December 1, 2014

The day Thanksgiving was stuffed up my nose


It has taken me a year to be able to write about this, but Id like to tell you about the day Thanksgiving was shoved up my nose.

 It was a Wednesday when my Mema Jackie passed. She was in Hospice for a few days and in the hospital before that (that's another story it might take another year before I can put that into print)so we were not surprised that she had passed. Sad, but not surprised. My sister was due to have a baby soon and My mom was due to fly out and help. I was trying to help my mom get things in order at Mema's house so she could go help Katie in time. I had to run a few errands before heading over to the house to help clean etc. I stopped at my friend Angela's house and dropped off some paper work. Her house smelled like a roast chicken or something like that.  I asked what she was cooking, "It's 9 am.... nothing" Maybe it was dinner last night "Chilli" no, that's strange it smells like when you walk in the grocery store and the rotisserie chickens have just come out. Job done, moved on to a drive to the kids school. Oddly enough my car has the smell of buttery potatoes. (My favorite part of thanksgiving) I thought must be some kids old french fries stuck under the seat cooking in this warm Arizona October.
 I got to the school and could tell they were having buttered corn for lunch in the cafeteria. It was only 10 am, but I am sure they are cooking it now. I am done and ready to go help my mom. I got there and could smell the sweet tangy cranberry sauce that she likes to get some times with an order from "Boston Market" I asked her if that's what she picked up for lunch. She said no, she hadn't eaten. In fact no one had cooked in that house in probably a week. "Ok- lets get to work" I helped pack things and sort through stuff and fold things. My mom said a few times "Is there something you would like?" I kept saying no. I move, military movers are not known for being very careful. I d hate to ruin all the nice things My mema, and her mom "Nana" took such good care of. Mema had at one point in time told me the dishes were for me. She always appreciated me having her for dinner and setting a nice table. She would call me days after and tell me how it was the best ever (Every time). I appreciated it, but its just not practical. I am nothing if not practical. I did enjoy the memories of My grandfather fixing a turkey and putting on my patent leather shoes for Nana ( who appreciate nice things and gifted me with polish for them) I remembered sitting at a full table of family and eating a nice Thanksgiving meal off these fancy dishes as I packed. This only happened when Nana was still alive, but Mema held the same refinement as taught by her mother.
 I left the house after helping my mom for a few hours to get my kids from school when I started to smell pumpkin pie. "Alright... this is getting nuts" You might be able to go back to my FB account last year and find the post where I complained after finally recognizing - "Why is Thanksgiving stuffed up my nose today"    I picked up the kids and got busy with after school things. When I lay down in bed several hours later I was over whelmed with all the smells. Cooked celery and onion for the stuffing, gravy and green beans. It was so strong that I went and checked  I had turned the oven off after dinner. I prayed for it to go away. I asked Heavenly Father to help me rest, to take this smell out of my nose so I could sleep. All of a sudden an image flashed in my mind of a thanksgiving table set so beautifully. My grandparents , Poppa, Nana, Grampy, & Mema,who have all passed. They were gathered and enjoying one another and smiling like they had when I wore those shiny black shoes and the excitement of fancy glasses and too many forks raced through my heart.
I knew in that instant, that they were all together. I knew that they were happy, I knew they had been trying to tell me that all day. The smell left my nose the moment I had that understanding. I was filled with a warm comforting peace and I fell right to sleep.

I woke in the morning and called my mom. "I will take the plates".
I set a beautiful table this Thanksgiving and I know they were all here and I know they enjoyed it as much as we did.




Did you read my other Thanksgiving post? Did you know none of those grandparents had known the gospel in this life? I'm glad I invited the missionaries!


2 comments:

  1. I remember you mentioning smelling Thanksgiving while we were working. So glad you have the dishes and those very special memories. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'm glad you invited the missionaries too!

    ReplyDelete