Friday, January 2, 2015

The 2014 Project results

So my new years goal for 2014 was to reduce as many processed items from our meals as possible. As you know, no good goal comes without a plan of execution, or a motivating factor. They also often come with bumps in the road and trial and error. Here are the results of my year long project.

#1 - Motivation=
I am a chef, I learned cooking skills, foods, flavors., however I am also a mom, so I look into health and nutrition. I haven't always been as interested in health and nutrition, but I recently started  watching DR. OZ. When he said the average American carried 5-7 lbs of un processed food weight because of preservatives, it kinda grossed me out. This made me think, I am a chef I have the skills to make a lot of this on my own, I should be using these skills. I also am a Mom, I have kids and it's my job to raise healthy kids.
The thing that really pushed me over the edge was when my husband and I visited Sicily. You see several years ago I was diagnosed with Lactose intolerance. Which sucks if you are going to go to a gelato, cheese ravioli filled country! Of course I bit in with reckless abandon. Only to find I never got sick. NEVER. Upon further research I learned the processing for dairy in our country is a bit different than in other countries and I am not so intolerant of actual dairy, but more of the hormones, antibiotics and other things that make their way into our milk and the dairy here in the United states. So this project was born.
I recommend this show- He tells it how it is and doesn't get paid to promote  agendas.

#2 - The Plan=  If it was too overwhelming it wasn't going to be a long lasting project. I knew that much. I was home alone a lot as my husband was assigned to Missouri and we were waiting Miss T.J.'s graduation to meet up with him. I have been working diligently on building my business and teaching Zumba as well as cooking classes. So an REAL plan was necessary. One Item a Month. I would choose one item or category of items per month and work on that. Then add another the next month.

January was - Salad dressings
February- Peanut butter, and other condiments (Homemade ketchup didn't go over well with the kids)
March - All sauces - pasta sauces, meat gravies, etc (purchasing organics Yogurt's and Milks and die free cheese to make said sauces)
April - Treats & desserts ( eventually some less than completely from scratch desserts got added back in for special occasions, or church pot lucks)
May- items in the lunch box ( this was a hard one)
June- August * see bump in the road paragraph below (Seasonings, Pasta, Rice)
September - all bread products ( No one liked my tortillas either- Im going to keep working on that)
October - Breakfast and cereal all homemade - Non GMO products
November- 95% reduction of any remaining canned goods
December- Nitrates and meats with lower levels of antibiotics and processing

#3- The Family=
As you can imagine they were the hardest to get on board with this plan. Sure when I started making salad dressing, they weren't complaining too loud, but when I stopped buying "Cheese Itz" for their lunch there was no end of griping.
The deal with getting them on board was breaking it in slowly, as well as striking a deal. We would eat my way Monday - Thursday and Friday, Saturday, Sunday they could choose what we would eat . (I figured Id still make it and do the best I could to bring in some healthy- but when they say I want KRAFT mac N cheese, well....)





As you can imagine the look of my pantry changed drastically and I also spent a lot more time in the Kitchen (Lucky for me, I enjoy that). I was pretty organized about it, for instance; I would choose a recipe that I make regularly that had a canned item in it, lets say beans. I would buy them dry and and lots of them. Soak and cook them for my recipe as well as for canning.

#4 -Products= Also the more I looked into recipes and ways of reducing the processed foods I would find more reasons to, or other people with tips.  Like THIS BLOG. I also realized there is so much mixed information on so many things that doing any one "DIET" or way of eating is probably not the best.
For example Milk- I buy soy sometimes, while it has good qualities too much is not good. Also I buy Organic Whole milk for the lack of processing, and it is very good for you if you do not drink it like water (I have a kid who does that) so I mix it up.
The same with oils. Olive oil is great if you eat it raw, cooking it looses its qualities. Coconut oil has some controversies as well. I also like Red Palm Oil. But the best is using them all in small amounts and for different things. Not that there is anything wrong with good old fashioned Canola Oil (IF you are getting it cold pressed organic- hard to find)

I found a few products I really like that I can recommend, however the key is to always keep your ear to the ground to hear about new ideas and studies, as well as mix it up. Do not go all one or another. You will miss out on good qualities in foods.

Do you see that little butterfly symbol on the bottom of my coconut sugar and rice vinegar? This popped up about half way through the year. It marks items that are made without GMO's That made shopping easier and less time reading labels. (If you want my thoughts on GMO's message me)




 #5 - The cost=
So I did meats last, finding good meat is hard and pricey. I guess like most things in this project - if the price went up we ate less of it. Somethings like canning veggies from my friends gardens and dry beans vs canned etc. had a positive effect on my grocery bill.
I think I would say over all my budget has gone up a bit, but I know the value of the food we eat has for sure gone up! I also think the longer I did (will do) this the shortcuts I learn and the places I can find deals at will increase (the military moves makes that an endless battle)

#6- Bumps in the road=
At first it was simple bumps like "OOPS" I sat down for dinner and realized I hadn't put out the salad dressing and I couldn't go to the pantry to get another bottle, but would have to whip one up real fast. Bread was a difficult one, without all the preservatives it doesn't stay good as long. When you are making lunches and have no bread you have to get very creative.
The big bump came when Miss Logan had her accident and I few to New York for 2 months. I had been working on seasonings and making my own mixes for times I couldn't use fresh.  When I left, Dan had to work and take care of the younger two as well as I was in a hospital without a kitchen and shopping capabilities for 2 moths. LIFE HAPPENS...
Also Logan coming home for several months was difficult on this plan (lovely to have her- difficult in our healthy eating) because she would go to taco bell whenever, or cook with white bleached flour etc. I never wanted this project to get in the way of family time, or the joy of having kids and being a family. I just took it in stride the best I could. (There were a few lectures about Taco Bell)
Also from time to time a recipe just wouldn't fly. If anyone makes good from scratch cheese itz let me know!

#7-The result=
Well, one year isn't much to find a result, especially if you are only making one change a month. I did for sure see changes. Both of my younger kids lost needless weight. Miss Paige did tell me she felt better when she was eating healthy and that she is starting to be a bit surprised at what kids at school eat for lunch (mainly lunchables).
Also when we first started the kids would be starting on Tuesday to think what they wanted on Friday, Saturday, Sunday meals they got to choose. They would choose the WORST things. As the year went on, they asked for less really bad stuff, and thought about it later in the week, and actually came to the point where they stopped requesting stuff on a regular basis. Maybe once a month or so someone would say I'd like to have "White rice with Soy sauce" or "Kraft Mac N cheese"
It pointed to me to know for myself that those preservatives keep you wanting more of them and this was a bit like a mini detox.
Both Logan's Dr.'s and Dan's Dr. commented on how well they healed and how they were in such good health to begin with. I owe some of that to me always cooking more than the average person, but I think that peace of mind of food being healing if you are using it right is priceless.


#8- 2015=
So I am sorry to disappoint anyone, but I am adding back in cake mix / desserts with regular items. We for sure will do them less, but thats why they are treats. They just taste so much better, and since it's not all the time I'm going to be ok with it!
I mostly learned to be informed and read labels on products and to choose to make my own when ever possible. Sometimes I couldn't buy NON GMO, Organic, Non processed "something" or make it, so I had to make the best choice possible.
I learned that it takes time but a healthier family is worth it and I will keep up with making the better choices, but for 2015 I want to include more water intake in our plan, also I am reducing one of the "Family choice" days. I'm taking back Sunday! They can have Friday and Saturday for 20015!

I hope this helps anyone interested in it!
Happy, Healthy 2015!



1 comment: