Sunday, January 24, 2016

Standing on your own


 I wanted to take a picture for you of the hymn #'s on the wall in our chapel, to show how we sing the same song, but in two languages at the same time, but wondered if it would be less than reverent. Then as soon as sacrament was over Sorella Sorentena (The ward's historian asked if we could all stay seated to take this years picture.) When the Elder stood to take the picture I snapped my picture.
Talk about convient!


I had a thought on this my third Sunday in this branch of the church: I often will be in church, listening to a speaker, or singing  a hymn and a bit of my mind will wonder. I can keep half listening, or singing and catch back up when I remind myself of my focus. I  can do this because I know the basic principals that are taught and discussed. I can find my spot in the song by listening to those around me and begin where I left off.
(Maybe I am the only one with a wandering mind, and this is a admittance of failure, I am sorry, my mind isn't always 100% focused)


I guess we can call this Italian Spiritual lesson #1
IT DOESNT WORK THAT WAY HERE....

I have 10 people around me singing  words I do not understand. Even though the notes are the same and the tune is right, I can not find where I left off so easy. I have to think every word the speaker is saying and study it to know the rest of the sentence, I may only get the gist of any one sentence if I am lucky.
I can not rely on those around me to carry me through each Sunday's lesson. I can not lose focus, not for 10 seconds never mind a minute, or I will be left behind.Searching through the words on the page and feeling helpless and confused. It's frightening to think about this on a larger scale, on what that would mean to my life and my salvation.

However there are a few things that I have going for me,

1) My foundation. Yes, just as I said before, I know a good deal about the teachings of the Gospel of Christ. So when the speaker is talking about something I do not need to know all the words, I know where to find it and how to follow along. I know how to feel the spirit testify to me the truth of the teachings, even in a language I do not understand. I can find myself in a hymn and know the spot of the melody that I know because I have sung it many times before. These are blessings that have come to me because of my past participation in church services, from following the things I have been taught to do and the consequences are a more solid foundation.





2) The Lord has sent help, He does not want any of His children to feel lost. There is someone who can whisper in our ear and tell us what the speaker is saying Sometimes thats a friend, or the Holy Ghost in my case these someones are servants of the Lord. Young Men and Women who have sacrificed for 18- 24 months in order to help me and others like me hear and understand the words of the Lord in a language we understand and feel, and can know of the truth for ourselves without having to rely on those around us.

Build a solid foundation, be around others you can trust to get you back in step if you loose focus, and listen to the small whisperings of truth to help guide you  to better understanding.





No comments:

Post a Comment